Wolli Creek Shopping Centre?
From early 2004 locals have talked about the shopping centre of Discovery Point development and rumours say that it even has a cinema complex. According to this 2012 article, there will be a Wolli Creek shopping centre:
ANOTHER stage of the Discovery Point development at Wolli Creek will go ahead after the NSW government approved a retail component, including a shopping centre residents have long lobbied for.
The Locality Guide of Wolli Creek NSW on Lj Hooker’s website stated that:
A new shopping centre, vibrant waterside dining promenade, commercial and reatail precincts will see Wolli Creek become a dynamic destination in its own right.
Wolli Creek’s reatail and shopping areas are the heart of this dynamic new neighbourhood. What will begin with boutique food and service providers, will expand into a thriving hub with over 54,000sqm of office, retail and supermarket space.
According to one of the local users on SkyscraperCity it might be a Wolli Creek shopping centre in the future:
The gist of it was the original advertising (according to some of the residents) was for Westfield style set up over the top of the train line. As time went on and the size of the development plan dwindled that idea was moved to the current Woolworths site, which after the end of the lease would be turned into a multistory complex, as previously envisioned at the Discovery Point site over the train line. So far it appears to be the elusive white whale, still used to sell units, however no one has any confirmation it will ever exist nor where it will be.
Personally I agree with the thought that the Wolli Creek shopping centre is just going to be smallish one with a groceries supermarket (Woolworth) with several small speciality shops (butcher, baker, newsagent, tobacconist, etc). This seems supported by the statement on the official Discovery Point website:
In the heart of Discovery Point, the piazza-style Village Square retail precinct will create a new focal point for this masterplanned community offering residents access to an active outdoor park space surrounded by alfresco cafes, restaurants, speciality shops and a supermarket.
Shopping Centres around Wolli Creek
There are several shopping centres around Wolli Creek.
The nearest one is the Rockdale Plaza. Below are the details:
Address: 1 Rockdale Plaza Dr, Rockdale NSW 2216
The Marrickville Metro Shopping Centre is another one close to Wolli Creek. Below are the details:
Address: 34 Victoria Rd, Marrickville NSW 2204
Phone:(02) 9519 1066
You could also go to Kogarah Town Centre. Below are the details:
Address: 1/9 Railway Parade, Kogarah NSW 2217
Phone:(02) 8068 4165
My Favourite Shopping Centre near Wolli Creek
My favourite shopping centre near Wolli Creek is the Westfield Eastgardens. Westfield Eastgardens is in the Sydney suburb of Eastgardens. The centre was the largest shopping centre in Australia when it opened in September 1987. Westfield Eastgardens has more than 300 stores, 84,627 m² of floor space on two levels and 3,263 car spaces. Major retailers are located on either end of the centre, including:
- Myer department store
- Coles supermarket
- Kmart discount department store
- Target discount department store
- Woolworths supermarket
- Big W discount department store
- Aldi supermarket
- Hoyts cinema
- JB Hi-Fi consumer electronics store
On the ground floor near the car park entrance, there are six restaurants within the dining precinct. They include:
* Bondi Pizza captures the essence of the iconic Bondi Beach in a relaxing, vibrant atmosphere and focuses on creating the tastiest thin pressed pizza around.
* Ribs & Burgers restaurant is a retro “butcher shop” where customers can choose from a selection of super succulent ribs or hand-rolled, beef patties on homemade buns – all complete with a selection of sides, sauces and salads.
* The Lang Suan Thai Street Food fold serves customers with food commonly found on the streets of Thailand.
* Sedap Malaysian has authentic Malaysian home style food, with generous servings of savoury roti, satay and hearty noodle bowls crafted with modern flavours of this popular Asian cuisine.
* Kingston & Co is a new café with a selection of barbecue meals and café treats served in the cosy atmosphere of this friendly, high-end parlour.
* San Churro Chocolateria is a Spanish shrine to delicious chocolate desserts, churros, and hot cocoa.